How often does this sound like your morning? Frenzied. Hurried. Chaotic.
Does your morning coffee routine feels the same way?
Now, in all honesty I am far from a trained, professional barista but I do feel like I know GREAT coffee and I truly appreciate the practice behind making a great cup.
Sometimes my morning routine includes yoga, sometimes it's a Kundalini meditation and reading a few pages from my new book. Most mornings however (I'm not even going to lie) my routine includes making coffee. Depending on the morning making coffee might mean a full on spread (grinding fresh beans, boiling water, Chemex, timer and enjoy!) other mornings it's prepping my Nespresso and enjoying my latte while watching surfers bobbling in the waves.
I am a firm believer in how you start your morning, sets the tone that will follow you throughout your day and hopefully your life. So take an 10 extra minutes when you can and slow down to enjoy your coffee.
BRANDI'S ADVICE & MUST-HAVES:
• Brewing equipment without buttons: This allows you to take your time and be involved in the brewing process. My favorites: Chemex®, MOKA, French Press
• Freshly roasted coffee beans: Ask your favorite barista for recommendations and learn the story behind your coffee. If you're new to coffee beans + roasting, ask a fellow coffee lover that you know and trust what a good everyday blend would be.
• Grinder: Make sure you’re using freshly ground coffee. I ALWAYS recommend the burr grinder for the most consistent grind.
• SPRUCE UP your kitchen: Tea Towels: Look for unique, handmade tea towels that add a pop of color; Fresh flowers; Mugs: start with a mug that’s your favorite color; Candles and votives, they always make a nice addition.
• Start small: Your mornings are busy enough - this should not, I repeat SHOULD NOT stress you out. So acquire pieces one by one, rather than as a set. Start with something easy that doesn’t require a whole lot of change out of you but does add something new to your day.